Everyone has seen the craze lately. Maybe you have even jumped in and tried it yourself. Elderberry supplements are taking our country by storm.
But what is elderberry? And why is it beneficial for you? Most people know elderberry has beneficial health qualities, but can’t say exactly what is does. Other than keep you from getting sick, maybe?
We understand that people want to keep themselves and their kids healthy. Especially with current events, everyone is looking for a way to keep from getting sick.
Are elderberry gummies the answer? We will look at what elderberry is and why so many people are turning to it.
At Simply Wonderful Buys, we know you are looking for useful information. We aim to bring you relevant and helpful tools to assist you in your daily life.
Elderberry is a plant that is commonly used as medicine. It traditionally was used to treat infections by Native Americans. Ancient Egyptians even found a use for it to deal with burns and enhance their complexions.
Today, many people regularly use elderberries to ward off the cold and flu.
Elderberry is not one single berry. In fact, it refers to any berry from the Sambucus tree. The most commonly used varietal is the Sambucus nigra or the European elderberry. The European elderberry tree is 30 feet tall. The tree has small batches of white or cream-colored flowers and black or blue bunches of berries.
The flowers have a delicate aroma. The berries, however, are very tart and must be cooked to consume. Raw berries are poisonous and can wreak havoc on your stomach.
Most of the tree has some kind of medicinal use, though. The flowers and leaves can reduce pain and are considered an anti-inflammatory. They are also a diuretic and can make you sweat. The bark is also a diuretic and a laxative and can induce vomiting.
Elderberries are not only good for fighting off diseases. They are also rich in nutrients. In each 100 mg of elderberries there is:
- 30 mg of Vitamin C, about 60% of your recommended daily amount.
- 7 grams of fiber, about 25% of your recommended daily amount.
- Phenolic acids, powerful antioxidants.
- Flavonols, powerful antioxidants.
- Anthocyanins, powerful antioxidants and anti-inflammatories.
Some studies have shown elderberries have positive effects on your heart health. They may reduce the risk of heart disease, lower blood pressure, and reduce the levels of uric acid in your blood. Elderberries can also help control blood sugar.
Studies are still underway to better understand the health benefits of elderberries, and the results are promising. According to WebMD, studies have shown that elderberries may:
- Fight cancer
- Fight dangerous bacteria
- Boost the immune system
- Protect your skin from UV radiation
- Increase urine output
- Have antidepressant effects
People might not realize there can be adverse effects of elderberry. We all know people who have negative reactions to foods like peanuts or strawberries. Elderberries potentially have harmful effects.
In the bark of the elderberry tree, there are lectins. Lectins are a protein found in many foods. However, many are toxic when consumed in large amounts. The lectin in the bark of the elderberry tree can cause severe stomach issues.
If you were to eat uncooked berries you would likely experience nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. The cooking process removes toxic or dangerous substances.
So, maybe you have decided to try elderberry gummies. Perhaps you already use them but just bought a random bottle at the store. How do you know what you are taking is actually good for you?
As with any health supplement, a little bit of research is essential. A few things to consider are:
- Active ingredients: What is the botanical name? Even within the elderberry family, there are different benefits.
- Part of plant used: What part of the plant is used–the bark, leaves, berries, etc.?
- Type of extract: Is the entire plant used in the extract process?
- Manufacturer’s contact information: Is the company transparent and provides their contact information?
- Lot number: Is it clear what lot number you are taking in case there is a recall?
Here’s an elderberry gummy we think fits the bill.
- Full-spectrum black elderberry made from European black elder (Sambucus nigra L.)
- Premium Elderberries – each serving delivers 50 mg of black elderberry extract, vitamin C and Zinc
- Tested for Bioavailability
- Gluten and sugar-free.
- No artificial flavors or colors
- Excellent price point
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
So, are elderberry gummies all they claim to be? As with any health supplement, there needs to be more research. But the results seem promising.
We hope you are giving your body a boost with elderberry gummies. Any tools we can use to help ward off the plethora of diseases is a good thing, right? Plus, who doesn’t like a gummy treat every day?
Follow Simply Wonderful Buys for more practical information to help you navigate life.